This post may contains affiliate links.
This means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase.
Wheelchairs can cost a hefty price, and some people can’t afford to pay for one. Depending on the functionality you need, this can be a considerable expense. Luckily, charities are available that help people get wheelchairs for free in exchange for volunteering to help with events and fundraisers.
This article will provide you with a list of ways to get a wheelchair for free and some of the best places to buy a quality wheelchair at a low price.
Best Places To Get A Wheelchair For Free
It is not possible to get a wheelchair for free in most cases. However, some facilities and charities may offer wheelchairs for free if you qualify. If you’re cheap like me, we’ve compiled a guide that teaches you how to save a hundred dollars on your wheelchair purchase and get one for free.
1. Free Wheelchair Programs
Wheelchair distribution programs are run by state and local governments, non-profit organizations, and some businesses in partnership with non-profit organizations. The programs differ in terms of what they offer and how they work.
They may provide wheelchairs for free or at a reduced price. Some of these programs may also give vouchers for wheelchair accessories or information on where to get wheelchairs, job training, or home modification services.
Below is a list of the best accessible wheelchair programs in the US.
- Free Wheelchair Mission: The Free Wheelchair Mission is a non-profit organization that provides wheelchairs to children and adults in need in the United States. They provide over 4,000 wheelchairs every year.
- The Disabled American Veterans: The Disabled American Veterans offers more than 1,000 wheelchairs each year to veterans and their families at no extra cost.
- Wheelchair Foundation: Wheelchair Foundation is a charitable organization. They provide wheelchairs to those who cannot afford them. Their goal is to give people the mobility they want and need. They have given out more than one million wheelchairs since 2000.
- Wheels for the World: Joni and Friends is a Christian organization started in the early 1970s by Joni Eareckson Tada. She started Wheels for the world as a platform to spread the gospel and help people living with disability at the same time.
- Life nets Wheelchair Project: Lifenets Wheelchair Project provides wheelchairs to people in need all over the United States. They accept donations of new or gently used wheelchairs, check them and repair them as needed, and distribute them within their network.
2. Government Programs (Medicare & Medicaid)
The government has always been in charge of regulating social welfare programs. With the rise of the baby boomer generation, government assistance programs became more important than ever.
The Medicare program is a federally funded health insurance program that helps seniors and people with disabilities pay for their medical expenses. Medicaid is a federal-state partnership that helps people with limited income and resources get health care coverage and long-term care services and equipment, including wheelchairs.
3. Your Insurance Company
Although most insurance companies won’t give you an accessible wheelchair, they can still help you with a fraction of the cost. Like Medicare, some insurance companies can cover the upfront cost and even pay for a replacement chair for up to 5 years.
Ask your doctor for a prescription for a wheelchair, and then contact an insurance company to find out if they will cover the cost of the wheelchair.
Some insurance companies may require that you have a health condition that makes it challenging to move around your home before giving you a new wheelchair. They may also require you to have a medical need for your health plan to cover a fraction of the cost of a manual wheelchair, power wheelchair, or scooter.
All in all, these are a few of the best places to get a wheelchair for free. However, you should always take the time to read over some reviews first to see if it’s worth it.
There are other resources out there like And for a lot more information about these and other places, continue to check back here because we will be adding more helpful links like this one in the future, so bookmark it!